UNDP and the UN
UNDP has been in Myanmar since the 1950s supporting the country with sustainable human development projects.
The UN System has provided assistance to Myanmar since its independence in 1948. Today, the UN family in Myanmar consists of 17 resident UN entities that all provide support to the country within their specific mandates.
The UN’s support to provide humanitar¬ian assistance and emergency relief after the cy¬clone Nargis in 2008 was a strong and noticeable accomplishment, but the UN has also tirelessly supported the country and the people of Myan¬mar in many other aspects. The UN has responded to emergencies to save life and alleviate suffer¬ing, and has been engaged in development work to empower the people of Myanmar and to raise the living standards.
The UN Country Team in Myanmar coordinates within the UN, and also co¬ordinate closely with the government and other development partners in line with the principles of the Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness.
Over the coming years, the UN will remain focused on supporting the government and civil society in line with the visions set in the United Nations Strategic Framework 2012-2015, which support the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. The UN system will also increasingly be engaged in policy support to the peace process, as peace and stability remains a precursor for sustainable development. Read in Myanmar
UN agencies in the country
Programmes and Funds
- UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
- UN-HABITAT – United Nations Urban Settlements Programme
- UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund
- WFP – World Food Programme
- FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization
- ILO – International Labour Organization
- UNESCO – United Nations Educational, Scientific & Cultural Organization
- WHO – World Health Organization
Departments and Offices
- UNIC – United Nations Information Center
- UNOCHA – United Nations Office for Coordination of Human Affairs
- UNODC – United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- UNDSS – United Nations Department of Safety and Security
Other UNCT members
- IOM – International Organization for Migration
- UNAIDS – United Nations Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS
- UNOPS – United Nations Office for Project Services